Soil is a nutrient source for plants. Its condition will affect the size and quality of your harvest in your organic garden. Deep soil is better than thin soil especially if you are growing root vegetables such as potato or carrot. When you return to your outdoor classroom tomorrow, turn the soil (aerate) and remove any weeds. Add nutrients in the form of compost, liquid fertiliser and castings from your worm farm. When you do this you are contributing to education for sustainability and embedding sustainability in your centre.
Mulch your soil with leaf litter, sugar cane or pea straw. If you keep chickens or guinea pigs, clean out their bedding and nesting boxes and use it to cover the garden bed completely. Animal bedding is infused with nutrient rich manure and each time you water, you will be watering in more nutrients which your plants will love. Mulching insulates the soil locking in moisture during warmer months and retains warmth during cooler months.
Quality Area 6: Partnerships with Families and Communities: Food Share Program
Do you want to not only meet but exceed quality standards in Quality Area 6? You can do this while accessing free home grown food near you. What could be better? Visit ripenearme and search free food verge gardens by postcode. By remembering to share this link with your colleagues and families you’ll be gathering vital evidence for Assessment and Rating. Share Post Now
Remember to give back and plant something in YOUR verge or offer some of your produce to the Ripe Near Me community.
Something for the Classroom
- Backyard in a Box flexible modular design allows you to create tailored solutions based upon specific needs and wants of your service and community.
- Embed sustainability methodologies and go beyond ‘Random Acts of Environmental Kindness’ Sustainability Systems and Services
- Engage your families with meaningful subject matter relating to the three Pillars of Sustainability; Environment, Social and Economic whilst effortlessly addressing Quality Area 6, Partnerships with families and communities.
- Our innovative design means a single Backyard in a Box purchase can be utilised repeatedly to up skill staff across your service.
- One fixed cost for exponential in-house Professional Development for staff, children and families.
- Entire Suite (includes 7 themes) $1990.
- Box Trilogy (includes 3 themes of choice) $995.
- Single Box (includes 1 theme) $350.
Food, Garden, Education, Care, Quality, Area, Partnerships, Sustainability, Embed, Centre, Organic, Comply, Meet, Exceed, Assessment, Rating, Outdoor, Classroom, Families, Healthy, Salad, ACECQA, Verge, Long Day Care Professional Development Fund, LDCPDF